The things we enjoy doing in our spare time significantly contribute to our well-being and help create balance in our lives. They also help us to relax, give us a sense of purpose, and allow us to express our creativity.
But when we’re preoccupied with the distractions of our day-to-day lives, putting our interests and pastimes on the back burner is tempting. I can say from experience that when I let go of the the I enjoy, I notice I’m not as happy.
Here are some suggestions that can help you develop your interests and hobbies:
- Devote time each day or week to your favorite pastimes, and you’ll find that you enjoy them much more.
- Keep motivated and involved in your hobbies if you establish goals for them. If you enjoy painting, you could challenge yourself to finish one picture per month as a goal.
- Join a group or club. This may take the form of an online community or a group that meets in person.
- If you need help with your existing activities or are tired of them, try something new.
- If you want to maintain your interests feeling new and fascinating, you should never stop learning and developing.
- If you’re going to develop your talents, look into taking classes, participating in workshops, or using internet resources.
- Another idea is to keep reminders or tools in plain sight. For example, I keep my art supplies beautifully organized on my desk.
Here’s a challenge for you…give these suggestions a try this week!